Although once a thriving community, Juno is almost deserted now. For centuries, Native Americans had passed through the area, enjoying the cool waters of Beaver Lake, a natural landmark formed by the beavers working local cottonwood trees approximately 3 miles northeast of Juno. The area provided excellent camping along the banks of the Devil's River and in the shade of the steep canyon walls.
In 1849, the United States Army stationed troops at the lake to guard the San Antonio/El Paso stage line and early ranchers against Comanche and Apache raids.
By the 1880's the town of Juno had become a supply center and boasted a general store as well as a café.
Legend says the town received its name because the café owner, Henry Stein, only served beans, better know as frijoles, and beer. When locals asked what was on the menu, he would respond, "Ju know." When the community applied to have a U.S. post office in 1885, Juno was added to the application and became the official name for the town.
Juno continued to grow, and included a school, land office and telephone service. By 1964, the population had risen to 80. But progress was not kind to the community and by 1968 only ten residents called Juno home.
The post office closed in 1975 and the last reported business closed in 1985.
Juno is on our Law West of the Pecos Loop Itinerary.
Thinking about visiting the area?
Learn more about Ozona and Crockett County
when you visit our Tourist Information page.